Sunday, September 13, 2015

I remember the beginning when my fascination with cars started. I was 14 and my brother bought a 1972 Dodge Charger this had to be the early 90s it had some work to be done on it so he didn't drive it for a couple months in that time I would come home and sit in it behind the wheel and the largeness of the car and the old smell of the car and to look out over the hood which was huge, the car was yellow with what had looked like black shockwaves down the side but they had painted them in the wrong direction so they looked more like fish gills. We would tease my brother and would refer to the car as bills gills. My brother ended up selling the car in need of something more dependable for work. But I had already caught the fever that would change my life. My brother ended up moving out of my parents house and he bought a Nissan pickup to drive to work but he would always have projects he would buy and trade, he came across the strange car with a huge back glass it looked like something out of the Jetsons cartoon it was 1966 Barracuda and I ended up talking him into selling it to me so a deal was struck and I would make him payments with my yard mowing money and would mow his for free. 900 dollars in 15 dollar increments for each yard it took a while to get up enough money for the car. My parents would go to my grandmas house for the weekend sometimes and would leave me alone at home so I would drive the car with no tags and me with no license all over the neighborhood. By the time I was old enough to drive and get a real job I had it paid for and was used to driving it.

1 comment:

  1. The reader must ask...do you still have that car? :) Good post. ~Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete