Thursday, September 10, 2015

One of my youngest memories was sitting under the porch of a vacant house that was in the large field next to my parent's house. I was talking to another child who lived in my neighborhood, we couldn't have been older then 6. He was a strange kid who cursed and chewed tobacco. Me, being a curious child I asked him for some. At the time I wasn't aware you didn't swallow chew but, rather you spit it out. I ended up getting very ill. To this very day I can't stand to even look at chew, although I smoked for nine years. Chewing tobacco unlike smoking brings back those unpleasant memories to me. I almost wish I had smoked back then. This is because had I done it then, then perhaps I wouldn't have continued such a bad habit in later years. As a child I always had a vast amount of freedom. I got to go pretty much wherever I pleased as long as I could hear my mother yell at dinner time. I also made it a habit to come home when the street lights came on as that meant it was getting late. I didn't fair too well with all this freedom. My brother and I were the terrors of the neighborhood. One day we had the bright idea to throw croquet balls at the neighbor's chimney until the bricks caved into his house. Another time my friend Dave and I tied fishing line to one of his mom's purses and hid in the front yard. We put the purse next to the road and would watch as people got out of their cars to get it. Once they tried to get the purse, we would reel the fishing poll in laughing the whole time watching them chase after it. This usually was followed by the sound of loud cursing of a very unamused adult. Another time in the field next to my house (which belonged to Muller Steel Company) my brother and I decided to dig a huge hole in which we could climb in. After about a week we had the hole dug over our head. Eventually they had a dump truck and a backhoe come out and fill said hole. During the summer time we would be at our worst doing such activities as mentioned above. I believe much of this was due to boredom and the vast amount of freedom instilled upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment